Saturday 13 April 2013

UPTODATE PAPER (A) 2004 - B.A. ENGLISH (PU)

PAPER NO. 1
(YEAR 2004 - GROUP I)
1. Explain any THREE of the following extracts with reference to the context.
(i) Popova: I shall never go out, why should I? My life is already at an end. He is in his grave. And I have buried myself between four walls.
(ii) Bishop: Come to the cathedral when you are at leisure. You really aught to turn over a new leaf tonight.
(iii) I was angry with my friend;
I told my wrath, my wrath did end,
I was angry with my foe;
I told it not, my wrath did grow.
(iv) Sun, rain, curving sky
Mountain, oceans, leaf and stone,
You're all that I can call my own.
(v) And so I missed my chance with one of the
lords of life. And I have something to expiate;
A pettiness.
2. Attempt any THREE of the following questions. 
(i) What land of change Ustad Mangu was expecting from the new Act of 1935? Explain. ("The New Constitution" by Saadat Hasan Manto)
(ii) In "Take Pity" by Bernard Malamud, we read an undaunted struggle of a woman against the exploitation of a man. Discuss.
(iii) "The Duchess and the Jeweler" is a story about the moral decadence of the English elite class of those days. Elaborate.
(iv) In "The Shadow in the Rose Garden", it is written, "there was a long silence of hate and suffering" but at the end it says that they "no longer hated each other". They were only "shocked". What kind of story is this: of love, of hatred, or of something else?
(v) Write a character sketch of Wolf. ("Something to Talk About" by Eden Phillpotts)
3. Attempt any TWO of the following questions. 
(i) D.H. Lawrence in "Whistling of Birds" shows his fascination for sound and colour. Elaborate.
(ii) There is irony and humour in "The Beauty Industry" by Huxley. Discuss.
(iii) Discuss the real problems of a bachelor. ("The Bachelor's Dilemma" by Herbert Gold)
(iv) Write an essay on tolerance. ("Tolerance" by E.M. Forster)
4. Attempt any THREE of the following questions.
(i) What are some of the simple delights we miss because of our busy life? Elaborate. ("Leisure" by William Davies)
(ii) How can we master the art of losing? Discuss. ("One Art" by Elizabeth Bishop)
(iii) "In our times the destiny of man presents its meaning in political terms". Thomas Mann.
Explain "Politics" by W.B. Yeats in the light of Mann's given comment.
(iv) "Lights Out" by Edward Thomas dwells on the power of sleep. Elaborate.
(v) Comment upon the seventh stage of man's life in "All the World's A Stage" by Shakespeare.
5. The Old Man and the Sea by Hemingway
Attempt any THREE of the following questions. 
(i) The biggest fish is the biggest challenge. Elaborate.
(ii) The sea is a living being. Elaborate.
(iii) At the end of the novel only a skeleton of the gold fish is left. Elaborate.
(iv) What are the qualities of DiMaggio that the old man eulogizes? Elaborate.
(v) Write a note on Old Man's struggle against the fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment